Friday, March 14, 2008

Emergency Room Visits

I was on the telephone with my sister Tina and was telling her about my visit to the emergency room with Isabella and she said: "This is something that belongs in your blog." So I thought I'd quickly summarize my ER visits...yes there have been more than one.

When Andreas was 3 years old he came to me with a bit of a cough and said: "Mama, do you know why I'm doing this? Cough, cough? " "No, Andreas -- Why?" "I have a lego piece caught in my throat." Ok, pack up the kids, find a similar lego piece and off you go to the ER...it always happens after 5:00 pm or on the weekends.

In 2005 Tanja and Tina were visiting. We rode bikes, tandem, trailers to the outdoor pool in Grainau. You can guess what happened next. Andreas wasn't running and fell, split open his head on some tiled steps, LOTS of blood, our first (hopefully last) ambulance ride a few stiches and we could go home. An amazing part of this story is that Tanja, Tina, Charlotte and Isabella still had to get home without me on the bikes. Our little Charlotte has always been good at directions (showing her older brother the way to our local bakery after he came home claiming it is closed is another family anecdote) well Charlotte amazingly was able to direct Tanja and Tina to get them all home!

Just 3 weeks ago Jonathan was trying to work from home, I was at work, and the preschool called: "Isabella fell against a radiator and needs stiches." Jonathan took her to the ER. This time they glued the cut.

Now last weekend Isabella (she's 3 yrs. old) jumped off the top bunk onto our jumping matress. I knew that Andreas and Charlotte jump, but Isabella? Charlotte informed me she's been jumping for awhile...so Isabella did an "arsch-bombe" which is only recommended on a trampoline. Andreas and Charlotte were very simpathetic as they have made the same mistake in the past. Isabella cried for a long time, and she was over-tired, and she's been sick...but what do you do when your baby says her back/neck hurts? Off to the ER. I was a bit embarassed this time as I'm sure the computer showed our very recent visit. She seems to be fine. It would be horrible if she really injured her back at this age.

2 comments:

Tina said...

I love that you have a family jumping mattress! :)

Ah, yes, the bike ride home from the pool... I hadn't been on a bike in YEARS, yet there I was riding a tandem with Charlotte on the back and pulling a trailer with little Bella and Ryan. Charlotte was all of...what? four years old? And she's shouting out directions like a champ!

Good memories! I love Wiant Family Adventures!

vcmcguire said...

So, let's see, that's two for Andreas and two for Isabella.

Charlotte deserves some kind of award, especially since I know she's just as daring as her siblings.

How many times have you been to the ER for yourself, Susanne?

How many times has Jonathan?