Dios
On Monday, February 15th 2010, Jonathan and I held Dios in our laps as he was gently put to sleep in our home. It was a very difficult decision for us. It took me a long time to realize that Dios didn’t really enjoy his life anymore, it was my needing/wanting to keep him alive. I feel comfortable with our decision, but still it’s hard, especially coming home, and his not being here, is hard.
Dios would have been 14 years old in April. That’s quite an age for a ‘big ol’ lab’. Dios was the absolute best dog I’ve ever experienced.
I remember when Jonathan started talking about getting a dog when we were in Eugene. Shortly, thereafter, Francie called us and asked whether we would take Dios. Dios was our wedding gift for our wedding at Morse Ranch, Eugene, OR 1999. Dios was the best gift we received.
I started with lots of rules. I always tend to start with ideas of how things will be. Dios was to be outside, in the family room and garage, definitely not in the kitchen, bedrooms or rest of the house. As everyone knows all my ideas about how it would be with a dog went out the window with Dios. While we never did let him sleep in our bed, now I almost wish we had.
Dios was always incredibly healthy and strong. He would mountain bike, hike, swim and run with us. In our Garmisch winters Dios went snow shoeing, sledding and ski touring with us. But beyond all the fun, Dios was always there to put his big heavy loving head in your lap when you needed it most. Jonathan always loved that he could lie with his head on Dios like a pillow…and he did, all the time. Dios always sensed when I was pregnant and stayed even nearer to me during those months.
Of course there are always the stories: the stick accident in Eugene (2000), the ski touring accident (2002) where I then crashed our bus in the parking garage because I was so nervous, the big-wet-log-eating-constipation (2003), all the times Dios “took himself for a walk” – his only flaw.
Dios was great with the kids. I remember Andreas sticking his finger in Dios’s eye and saying: “Eye, eye, eye”. Dios never did a thing. The kids played in his bed, Dios just went somewhere else. The only thing dangerous about Dios was his strong wagging tail. The kids were so used to it they raised their arms in protection when walking past him. Andreas remembers snuggling with Dios before coming to snuggle with Mama & Papa in the mornings. I was almost a celebrity in Garmisch with my tandem, trailer and Dios running alongside of me.
Dios -- Ever loving, ever present. I know he’s at peace, doesn’t have any pain and he’s still here with us, watching over our family.
I miss you Dios. I don’t know how to express my pain. I know you were old and that we were so lucky to have you so long…you’ll live in our hearts forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a sweet, loving tribute to such a beautiful dog. All of our hearts have been heavy around here this week as we've been remembering Dios. He really was a great dog. I love you! xoxo
Post a Comment