Merry Christmas! We wish you all a peaceful holiday season
and good health in the New Year. We’d like to take this opportunity to reflect
upon the past year noting a few of the activities, stories and anecdotes. We
are thankful for a wonderful 2012 and look forward to the next year.
Reflection:
Susanne and I continue to work and live as a team raising
our three wonderful children and one and a half careers. I started the new year
by dislocating my left shoulder in a ski crash in Vail, Colorado. (If you have never done this, try to avoid it
as it hurts like hell.) I was on the
backside of the mountain on the first run of my trip and skied back over and
made it to the Steadman Clinic in Vail Village roughly two hours after the
incident. By this point my shock had
warn off and I really enjoyed the modern technology of sweating in pain filling
in my medical history and credit card information on the iPad in the waiting
room. The doctor was really nice and appealed
to my male ego trying to get a now blocked shoulder back into the socket
without pain medication or anesthesia. I
have witnessed five live child births including three of my own and imagined
that my face looked a lot like Susanne’s during a major contraction. The mantra of “we only need to get a couple
of centimeters more” even sounded familiar.
I gave up after what felt like four hours but more likely fifteen
minutes - we even changed positions several times. When they answered my inquiry about the warm
water immersion shoulder insertion technique with a negative I asked for some
serious drugs. (Susanne edit: Reference to water birth/Isabella) A short while later, after full anesthesia, my
shoulder was back in place and I wobbled back to the hotel and our USA sales
meeting. Nice way to start the new year
and par for my course.
Things brightened up after the incident and I took a careful
4 weeks off prior to getting back into the swing of things and so far have
avoided surgery. Curiously, my doctor
told me that after 35 the likelihood of a repeated dislocation is much lower
than for younger males. There may be a
silver lining to getting old after all.
I am still working for Marker Voelkl International. While the
past years I was involved with significant distribution changes which led to frequent
summer travels, I was home more often this summer than in recent years. By nature a busy body, this additional time
in Garmisch included several large household projects: (1) my own wood working
shop under the deck extension; and (2) a
rough post and beam framed outdoor seating area and lengthening of the deck to
accommodate the new structure. Both
projects ended in various states of incompletion when the ski season and travel
scheduled picked up again in November but will likely still be there next spring
when I have time to continue. The wood
shop fulfills a bit of a dream for me and I was able to invest in some
wonderful basic cornerstone tools such as a format table saw, bandsaw, drill
press and planer/jointer combination tool. After filling the space with tools
and work bench I barely have room to move around in the shop and so far it is
not heated but we are certainly speaking about a man cave of the first
degree. Thanks honey;-)
I have built out the shop interior and exterior and built up
the deck extension. We purchased some old lead-paned windows and the space is
beautiful. Susanne’s list of fine furniture is growing but I (3) secretly moved
on to lay a new wood floor and renovate our rec room in the basement instead of
getting to her wish list. I started this
project when Susanne was still in the USA with the kids this summer and now
need to finish it before I have room to take on the big honey dos like the 3.5
meter long built-in planned for the upstairs hallway. Wish me luck.
The ‘chill out deck corner’ (covered portion of the deck) started
in July when my dad was visiting. We dug
the foundations and poured the new footings together, careful to learn from the
hired hand we had on the main deck extension who, in the need for speed,
followed a 75 KG wheelbarrow full of mixed concrete over the edge of the deck two
meters down into one of the footing forms resulting in a broken arm and several
facial lacerations. Needless to say dad and I were careful - given our combined
115 years of wisdom and Darwin experiences. The reason for dad’s trip was to
join the Tour de France for a week together. Like any visitor - and if the readers
of this letter exchange notes I am sure all will confirm - if you visit us you
may have a great time and see a unique and beautiful corner of the earth, but
you will either be roped into one of our projects or taken on a death defying
experience - known in three counties as a Wiant Family Adventure. In any case
dad and I were apparently the only ones at the Tour not on EPO or having
regularly performed blood transfusions hiding in our motorhome between
stages. Our pace up the Col de la Croix
de Fer may have not broken any records or been met with international jubilee
but we were clean, squeaky clean. We had a great time, perfect weather and a
great experience. Being part of the
motor home Tour de France culture with all the different countries and
languages made for a terrific time. Dad,
again in five years?
My mom came for Easter and I think she is now recovering the
feeling in her arms. She volunteered (or was she coerced?) to help me tile the
workshop floor. Due to the tool delivery
schedule we had a total of 48 hours to complete the task. Susanne had the tough role of keeping us fed
and coffied up (mom had tea with foam). Sorry mom, at least we did not lead you
into a dangerous experience with a bad tempered jackass or along a tightrope
trail with 200 meters of exposure. In case you are wondering there are plenty
of projects and plenty of adventures so please include a visit in your travel
plans!
Now to the
love of my life: Susanne
Susanne is the proud ¼ owner of a traveling trophy
consisting of a wood, hand carved, middle of the night completed sculpture with
four breasts and a schnaps filled glass bicycle. What will they think of next
at the SIS (Sleepless-in-the-Saddle) annual sundown to sunup bicycle race?
Susanne’s women’s team won the race and the coveted trophy - I still do not
know why we ended up with it, other than it does kind of match the clay book
end Moby Dick we inherited with the house - and bragging rights for the most
laps without a lap dance. Susanne has
taken on more responsibilities at the school where she supports the teachers
and administration with their computers.
She took and passed the Windows 7 Desktop certification exam to qualify
for filling in at the Marshall Center as well, both of which has resulted in
more hours, but fewer
apple cakes. She is still managing to chauffer the kids to
all their activities and keep the household and papa bear fed. She has found a
new favorite Voelkl ski, Aura, and went “powdering” with a few girlfriends this
morning. She also rallied the whole family to bring us to California to
celebrate Willi and Sibylle’s Golden Wedding Anniversary this summer. We had a
great time…when we weren’t cleaning out the 1/3 of the garage of the items we
left there when we said we’re only going to Germany for 1-3 years. we don’t
need that now. We were also able to see France, Mark, Enzo and my mom in
Pasadena.
Susanne & I had a
wonderful three days in Istanbul in September while the kids were still under the loving care of
Willi and Sibylle, and the Aunties and Cousins in California. This is the 3rd time since
Andreas’s birth when we got away for more than one night alone and we enjoyed a
wonderful time in a beautiful city together. After Susanne talked me into the
Turkish Bath experience (Hamam) I can only say the first time may be the
last. We were pretty late at night
arriving at one of Istanbul’s oldest bath houses. As per tradition Susanne and I said goodbye
at the door and went to our separate gender changing areas. After putting on my linen loincloth thing, I
was led into a ancient round domed room with a sloping warm stone in the middle
and arched side chambers. My attendant -
dressed like me - told me to warm up on the huge center warm stone and went
into one of the side chambers to prepare my olive oil bubble bath mixture. Call me an amateur, but the description in
the guidebook suggested relaxation and inner peace, community and
regeneration. If you ever go to one of
these things, remember to keep your mouth and eyes shut, try to have your head
facing down the slope of the warming stone and not toward the almost
indistinguishably higher center. Without so much as a warning or grunt my
attendant/punisher poured a bucket of densely foaming olive soap water over my
head - into my mouth and open eyes and begin to scrub off the last ten years of
sin and skin. As the bubbles formed a virtual blockade of soapy air around my
mouth, I had to try to hold my breath for the five minute procedure. To tough
to give in, stupid American that I am, I mastered the technique of forceful
exhales and short inhales using my teeth as a filter for the dense soap
bubbles. Needless to say my eyes burned
for the remainder of the vacation.
My only solace was that Susanne’s experience was only
slightly better in that during the traditional soap scrub she had the
additional soothing experience of her topless attendant’s ample and gravitationally
challenged bosom following every scrub stroke with a gentle caress. I hope my description does not discourage you
from visiting Turkey and going for a Turkish Bath. I only want to give you an
accurate description to allow you to prepare properly - call it a Christmas
Gift if you would like.
Speaking of ample bosoms, I mean children: Andreas (12) had
a great year in BMX, returning from a relaxing time in California where he had
the chance to ride on the famous Orange BMX track during open track night,
culminating in winning the highest honors and points total for all age groups
in Southern Bayern in the non-licensed class.
Susanne and I accompanied Andreas to the awards banquet where the top
young athletes in Southern Bayern were honored.
Although he does not want to admit his talent he also took 4th
in the final club ski race at the end of last season beating several boys that
were in the premier group. On top of his
athletics, Andreas is excelling in Minecraft (a computer game), which started
as a minor hobby and is now a passion requiring parental limitation and
controls. I hope that this game playing
can lead to a career as game developer because it is capturing more attention
than his 7th grade schoolwork. The teachers all love Andreas and
most parents with older boys all indicate a certain “phase” where school grades
and concentration suffer. We will see how long it last. We have also witnessed a bit of dating
starting but we are not aloud to speak of this with Andreas so please keep
quiet. Facebook and Skype chat are also hobbies of Andreas’.
Charlotte (11): Playing the guitar, sneaking moments to
experiment with make-up, distracted but strong student, and charming young
lady, also picked up BMX and looks forward to next season when she does not
have to compete in the mixed class 2000/2001 which unfortunately included her
brother. Charlotte is a strong skier and
will be skiing in ski club 2-3 days a week this winter. Charlotte is very social with a busy
calendar. We fulfilled her birthday wish by moving her downstairs into her own
bedroom and splitting up Isabella and Charlotte after 8 years of sharing.
Isabella (8): Spunky, headstrong, athletic, bright,
charming, artistic and still daddy’s little girl. Isabella is in the second
grade and learning and growing daily.
Following in Charlotte’s footsteps Bella also started to BMX this year
and regularly beats some boys at the races.
Bella is in the same ski club as Charlotte, she also plays tennis and
recently finished a pottery class. She
is the champion of her posse of local boys and loves to play outside. She is
also very capable of spending creative time alone with art work or destroying
her room.
Lago: Still chunky and loving it. Lago seemed to loose a few
grams in the summer, but is now back up to his winter insulation weight. He
never spends more than five minutes outside in the winter so I think this
weight gain is only a defensive reaction to a fear of being left out. He can grow pinkie size dreadlocks on his
back which we are researching if we can sell them to Jamaica and is as
communicative as ever letting us know with meows and swats what he needs and
the urgency of such needs.
Giving Thanks: We are
extremely lucky and grateful to have three beautiful healthy kids, fourteen
years of happy and loving marriage and the ability to live and enjoy a
beautiful and abundant environment. Susanne and I make an effort to reflect
upon all that we have with regularity.
Thank all of you who receive this letter for being part of our lives.
Looking Forward: I will be taking one week vacation at Christmas
and look forward to enjoying the early and heavy snowfalls we have had . We already
have a few plans for 2013. I will move my job back to Germany,
liquidating my small apartment in Switzerland and reducing my offices by
33%. In May we will go to Gargano, Italy
again for our spring vacation. This year we plan to spend a few days in Rome on
our way to mix in a bit of culture in advance of lazy days on the beach and
biking in the Italian mountains. This August
we plan on testing Andreas’ French skills on the Atlantic Coast of France for a
wave surfing trip with another family.
We would like to finish up some of our projects around the homestead and
comb out Lago’s winter dreads. We are
also starting to look for a local real estate investment because we do not have
enough going on already. We hope to be
able to include seeing you in our plans or at least hearing from you all.
With love,
The Wiants
2 comments:
Best letter ever! I woke Larry up with my hysterical laughter at the Turkish bath experience. You are almost making me long for another Wiant Family Adventure. ;-) Love you guys.
I have to echo the 'best letter' ever comment .... wow! Puts my journalistic skills to shame. I was able to almost finish a full Arrogant Bastard beer in the time it took me to read the whole piece. Since my visit to you folks several years ago, I've turned into a beer snob (still know nothing about wine, however) ... I think there is a connection there somewhere? I still tell everyone here how Jonathan chastised me for drinking beer out of the bootle. Susanne - I didn't make it to Europe this year but you folks would always be my first stop, eh? I'm having fun being an uncle and getting to do all the fun stuff like basketball games, piano recitals, Disneyland visits, etc. I'm planning on doing an around-the-world bike ride in 5 to 10 years if everything falls into place, so you can count on seeing me then if not beforehand (please don't move for a few more years!). I've avoided bad ski accidents but did, unfortunately, happen to be with Pete (Penseyres) at Mammoth when he broke his leg (in several spots) on any 'easy' run where you wouldn't expect such carnage. I've never heard someone scream in such pain as when he tried to stand up ... and, yep, we (ski patrol) made sure that he got LOTS of pain medication on the way to the hospital - but it didn't seem to do all that much good. Wish I could say I'm riding 'clean' but the doc presribed testosterone for this grumpy old man so, in a way, I can now officially call myself a 'pro' a guess? Sounds like life is good for all of you, and I hope to visit again soon! Merry Christmas! Roberto Templioni
Post a Comment